2017 Senior Dual Team for the ORCA Duals
Open to High School Seniors only
March 11, 2017
Welcome Washington Wrestling Supporters!
Nine pound weight allowance!
We are very excited to announce that Washington State has its own team specifically for High School Seniors to travel and compete against other state teams. The inaugural event for the team was in March of 2011 when they competed, and won, against California and Oregon in the ORCA Duals at Redding, CA. Washington has not won this event in the last four years. This year we want that title back!
- will take place three weeks after the Mat Classic on March 11th, 2017
- will be held in Redding, CA at Shasta College
- will help prepare our wrestlers for national tournaments including the NHSCA Senior Nationals which occur later
- will showcase our wrestlers to scouts and college coaches
- will provide a positive atmosphere that includes team building and sportsmanship. We have secured donated singlets to be used annually by the team and event T-shirts are supplied each year. We will plan on leaving Friday morning (March 10, 2017) in personal vehicles and are heading to Southern Oregon stay on Friday night and get in a team workout. The next day we will travel to Shasta College to compete in two duals and will stay over night in that town again. The return date is Sunday March 12, 2017. Last year we had vehicles drive down from various locations in Western and Eastern Washington and pick up wrestlers on the way. We will be arranging host homes or staying with the coaches the night before leaving so we know we are ready to go in the early morning. We also will have one Southern pick up point on I-5 for those that are south of Olympia. After the selections have been made, we will be organizing 4-6 SUV type vehicles for transportation for the wrestlers and coaches. Parents volunteering to drive your vehicle with 4 wrestlers is a big help and all the gas is paid for by the team. Important info regarding finances on the Interested applicants need to submit paperwork to Jake Long at: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- The cost is $50 per wrestler and payment can be made via a link that will be posted in this spot in just a few days. Below is of the paperwork that needs to be completed and sent to my email address in order for consideration for the team:
- Wrestling fans!! We are also accepting donations to help keep costs down for this year’s team and teams in the future. Any amount will help go towards travel, lodging, and a t-shirt.
- We have had some really top kids verbally shown interest and we have high hopes of having a great team again this year. We are excited to have you (or your wrestler if you are the coach or parent) wanting to be part of the team. If you are interested in applying for this team, we need to get information and paperwork completed ASAP so we know who is committed and we can start dialing in who is going to be on the team and who will be the 1st and 2nd alternate. If you have any questions at all, feel free to contact me by email.
- Washington Senior All-Star Team for 2017
- The committee has had a number of wrestlers that have already expressed an interest and we will be selecting our 14 wrestlers after Mat Classic. We will also be selecting a first and second alternate that will need to be ready to go on short notice if something happens to the first or second choice. This is a great opportunity to wrestle the top wrestlers from Oregon and California in a prestigious event. It will also serve as a great warm-up for those planning on competing at Senior Nationals three weeks later.
- The committee will put together our list of applicants and chose the team shortly after the Mat Classic. We will need to cover the insurance costs, gas costs, housing costs and other incidentals. We have the opportunity to compete at a high level event with only minimal costs to the wrestlers and they will only have to miss one day of school. We are asking each chosen wrestler to pay 50 dollars to help cover the cost. Each of the five committee members will be volunteering their time to arrange and get the team to the event. We need to cover the rooming expenses for the entire team and coaches. All individuals will buy their own food on the trip.
- A selection committee will be responsible for choosing a high school Senior wrestler from any size classification for every weight class. A runner-up and alternate wrestler will also be chosen. The wrestler’s respective High School Coach, Club Coach or parent may accompany their athlete to this event and be in their corner although they will be on their own for travel and covering their costs. Each chosen wrestler is responsible for their own training and weight management. There may also be meetings or practices prior to the event. The team will wrestle a dual with both California and Oregon.
Here is the registration link for Orca Duals : https://
- USAW Consent and Release form
- Wrestler’s contact information form to fill out
- WSWA Competitors Code of Conduct
- USAW Competitors Card(You don’t need to buy your USAW card until you are notified that you have been selected which will occur in February.)
- WSWA Coaches Code of Conduct
- USAW Coaches Card